FAQs: Juvenile Crimes

Frequently Asked Questions by Parents Whose Children Face Crime Charges

Below are some of the questions parents ask the Law Office of Jerome Paun when their children face Connecticut juvenile crime charges:

Q. My husband and I live in Upstate New York, and our son is attending ECSU. Do we need to come all the way to Connecticut to meet with you?

A. No. We can schedule initial consultations with you by telephone, then meet with your student in our law office here in Willimantic, Connecticut. We understand that you are probably upset with your student but still want to defend your child against unfounded charges or minimize adverse consequences to which he or she may be exposed. We are willing to follow-up by telephone with you as the case unfolds if your child authorizes us to do so.

Q. My daughter was arrested and we are paying for her legal defense, how involved can we, as her parents, be in her case?

A. We understand your concern and desire to be involved. However, your child, as our client, is protected by the attorney-client privilege. That means that anything your student tells us is not only confidential, but also privileged and may not be shared with anyone. The same legal protection does not apply to you.

It is very important that your son or daughter tell you very little about the incident because you could be called as witnesses for the prosecution and compelled to testify against your child about things he or she may have told you about his or her case. However, we will do our best to keep you up to date with the developments of the case.

Q. My son is under investigation by the police, should we retain criminal defense counsel now?

A. In our experience, it is never too early to involve a criminal defense attorney when a person is under investigation. Attorney Jerome Paun will have some input into the police investigation if you retain him as counsel early in the process. We are happy to explain the entire legal process, including police investigations and the courts to you, and how prearrest legal representation may avoid arrest entirely, as well as humiliation and other adverse consequences if an arrest becomes unavoidable.

Q. What will happen to my daughter's student loans if she is convicted?

A. If convicted of drug possession or another felony, she may no longer qualify for federal student loans. Conviction may also affect college scholarships. She may requalify for federal student loans by completing a drug rehabilitation program or reapplying after a waiting period. We work hard to avoid convictions that will jeopardize a college education.

Q. Can my son or daughter stay in college during the proceedings?

A. That depends on a number of factors, including whether the alleged crime took place on campus, is of a serious nature, resulted in harm or injury to another student or the school's property, etc. Your student may face various kinds of disciplinary action by the university.

Q. Can attorney Jerome Paun represent my child at the school's disciplinary hearing?

A. No. Most colleges and universities, UConn and ECSU included, prohibit representation of students facing school disciplinary hearings despite the fact that appearances by students at such hearings may jeopardize their constitutional rights in court. Attorney Paun can provide experienced counsel on how to prepare for school proceedings in such a way as to protect your child's constitutional rights while still maximizing his or her chances for a more favorable outcome in the school disciplinary hearing.

Contact Juvenile Defense Lawyer Jerome Paun in Willimantic

The Law Office of Jerome Paun understands that there is a lot at stake in these cases and is standing by, ready to help. For a free initial in-person or telephone consultation, call toll free 866-787-0119 or send us an e-mail.