Skip to Content

Helping those charged with prescription drug offenses

Helping People Defend Their Rights Since 1980

Most people associate drug crimes with drugs like heroin, cocaine or even marijuana. However, the possession or sale of prescription drugs can land Connecticut residents behind bars as well.

Some of the most common prescription drugs involved in these arrests include those that have been shown to be addictive and to often be misused and abused. These include Adderall, Klonopin, Oxycodone, OxyContin, Percocet,Valium and Xanax.

In too many cases, people who were initially prescribed these drugs by a physician to treat pain, anxiety or other issues become addicted to them. When their doctor will no longer prescribe them, they resort to obtaining them through illegal methods, including forging a prescription or purchasing them on the street. Some people become addicted from recreational use without ever having a prescription.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has declared prescription drug abuse an epidemic in this country. Therefore, police and prosecutors take cases of alleged illegal possession or sale of prescription medications very seriously -- and so should defendants. Conviction of one of these crimes can result in years in jail, not to mention permanent damage to your career and reputation.

At The Law Office of Jerome Paun, we know that prescription drug crimes often involve issues of addiction where the person involved has never faced any other type of criminal charges. In these cases, they can often benefit far more by getting the help they need for their drug dependence than by spending time behind bars.

Every situation is different, but sometimes, courts will agree to allow defendants complete a diversionary program that lets them get the treatment and support they need. Sometimes, convictions can be avoided by successfully completing one of these programs.

Whatever the situation, if you or a loved one is facing charges involving a prescription drug crime, we can help. We have over three decades of experience that we can bring to your case to work towards getting the best possible resolution.

Share To: