Windham County Drug Possession Attorney
It Is Possible to Fight Your Drug Possession Charges
Have you been charged with possession of marijuana, cocaine, crack cocaine, heroin, K2, MDMA (ecstasy), or another illegal or prescription drug or a controlled substance? Depending on you and the facts of your case, you may be eligible for a diversionary program that, if successfully completed, would result in the drug possession charges against you being dismissed entirely! Thankfully, Connecticut drug possession laws have recently changed for the better. Mere illegal possession of any drug or controlled substance has been reclassified as a class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and up to a $1,000 fine. Still, you need a good criminal defense attorney to effectively defend against drug possession charges and get the best results.
Contact an experienced Windham County drug possession lawyer for the skilled defense you deserve. Attorney Jerome Paun has almost 40 years of legal experience, including experience defending students trying heroin for the first time and individuals who the criminal justice system calls "repeat offenders."
Questions? Contact us today to learn more about the options available to you at your free consultation.
What Are the Penalties for Drug Possession in Connecticut?
First-time illegal possession of any drugs or controlled substances in Connecticut is now punishable by up to one year in jail and up to a $1,000 fine. This includes simple possession of:
- Narcotics: heroin, cocaine, crack cocaine, morphine, etc.;
- Amphetamines: speed, Adderall, Benzedrine, MDMA (ecstasy), methamphetamine (meth), etc.;
- Barbiturates: sleeping pills, benzodiazepines, and other depressants;
- Prescription drugs;
- Hallucinogens: LSD, peyote, mescaline, etc.;
- Controlled substances: including 1/2 once up to four ounces of cannabis-type substances like marijuana or hashish.
Simple possession of less than 1/2 ounce of cannabis-type substance like marijuana or hashish has been de-criminalized in Connecticut. That doesn't mean it is legal to possess less than 1/2 ounce of marijuana or hashish. It just means simple possession of such small amounts has been reclassified as an infraction, only punishable by fines but no jail-time.
If this is your second or subsequent offense, you may face greater penalties.
Are There Defenses to Drug Possession Charges?
Yes. Even if you were arrested and charged with illegal possession of drugs or controlled substances, it still may be possible to defend against such charges depending on answers to questions like:
- Were you legally authorized to possess small amounts of marijuana for medical reasons under Connecticut's medical marijuana law?
- Did the police illegally search for and seize the drugs?
- Was your traffic stop and resulting search and seizure unconstitutional?
- Did the search and seizure warrant lack probable cause or was it issued on false information?
- Did the police search and seizure remain within the boundaries of the search and seizure warrant?
- Were you actually in possession of drugs or controlled substances?
Attorney Jerome Paun will thoroughly investigate your drug possession case to determine if these or other defenses may be available to you and whether you are eligible for a diversionary program that, if successfully completed, would result in dismissal of the charges against you.
Even when the drug possession charges cannot be dismissed, Attorney Paun has extensive experience negotiating with prosecutors for better solutions, including diversionary programs such as the Drug Education and Community Service Program (DE&CSP) or a motion to suspend prosecution for substance dependence treatment. Through skillful advocacy and various defense strategies, you may be able to avoid a conviction and/or jail-time.
Contact a Windham County Drug Charges Attorney for Committed Defense
Call The Law Office of Jerome Paun today at (860) 455-4202 to schedule your free consultation! We are committed to providing clients with the highly skilled assistance they need
“Excellent Lawyer says it all!”- Past Client
“Attorney Paun was so helpful, thorough, knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive to all my many, MANY questions about the whole process.”- Rebecca
“Attorney Paun was meticulous and detail-oriented in bringing a complex case to a mutually acceptable outcome.”- Val