Windham County Assault Defense Attorney
Dedicated to Defend the Criminally Accused in Williamantic & Hartford Connecticut
Assault is behavior that causes physical injury to another person. The seriousness of the injury and whether or not a weapon was used usually determines the degree of the assault charge. Assaults on the elderly, blind, disabled, pregnant persons, public safety (including police and corrections officers), emergency medical, public transportation, DCF personnel, and some others result in more serious punishments as do assaults classified as hate crimes.
Maximum jail sentences for assault convictions range from one year for misdemeanors to 25 years for certain felonies. Some assault convictions have mandatory minimum jail sentences ranging from one year to ten years. Fines from $2,000 to $20,000 may also be imposed.
If you have been charged with assault, it is important to consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer before making any statements to police or prosecutors.
At The Law Office of Jerome Paun, we have many years of experience defending clients against violent crime charges in Willimantic and throughout Connecticut. Jerome Paun is a skilled assault defense attorney in Windham County who can protect your rights in this critical legal matter.
How Can An Assault Charge Be Dismissed?
Prosecutors might drop an assault charge if it's identified that some of their evidence was legally acquired and is inadmissible in court. Any evidence found without securing a proper warrant is then considered inadmissible and might cause a district attorney dropping or dismissing the criminal charge.
If the accused's rights are broken, these procedural mistakes may in fact be grounds for a case dismissal or sentence decrease.
Our Defense Lawyer Handles All Levels of Assault Charges
We defend clients against all types of assault charges in Eastern Connecticut, including:
- Assault in the first degree;
- Assault on an elderly, blind, disabled, pregnant, or intellectually disabled person in the first degree;
- Assault on a department of corrections employee in the first degree;
- Assault of a pregnant person resulting in termination of the pregnancy;
- Assault in the second degree;
- Assault in the second degree with a firearm;
- Assault on an elderly, blind, disabled, pregnant, or intellectually disabled person in the second degree;
- Assault on an elderly, blind, disabled, pregnant, or intellectually disabled person in the second degree with a firearm;
- Assault in the second degree with a motor vehicle;
- Assault in the third degree; and,
- Assault on an elderly, blind, disabled, pregnant, or intellectually disabled person in the third degree.
Seek A Criminal Defense Lawyer Who Fights For Justice
Whatever the circumstances of your assault arrest, you are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Our law firm can provide you with the skilled defense representation you need to pursue the best possible outcome.
Contact us today by calling our offices at (860) 455-4202 to arrange a free initial consultation with an experienced assault defense attorney in Windham County and Willimantic.
“Excellent Lawyer says it all!”- Past Client
“Attorney Paun was so helpful, thorough, knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive to all my many, MANY questions about the whole process.”- Rebecca
“Attorney Paun was meticulous and detail-oriented in bringing a complex case to a mutually acceptable outcome.”- Val