Shoplifting & Theft Willimantic Defense Attorney
Source: Business Insurance, "The 9 Most Shoplifted Items in America," accessed Jan. 12, 2017
If you've been accused of shoplifting, the odds are good that it's for one of the following items. These are the five most frequently stolen products in the United States:
- Meat: This is a slightly surprising entry, but it's worked its way all the way up to number one in recent years. Experts note that filet mignon and other pricey cuts are typically targeted.
- Razors: Razors are the second-most stolen item in the U.S. and also rank highly when looking at global shoplifting trends. The price plays into it, as does the ease with which small packages can be hidden.
- Baby Formula: Theft of baby formula could be done more out of desperation than anything else. Formula can be very expensive, costing hundreds of dollars per month. Children bring on a lot of additional expenses, and some people may be driven to swipe formula when costs and monthly income just don't match up.
- Beauty Products: Like razors, these can be expensive and they come in small packages. That makes them easier to take and more desirable, whether for resale or personal use.
- Alcohol: Alcohol theft sometimes happens when people are addicted and can't afford to keep buying it. They may take risks to fuel that addiction that they wouldn't take with other products. Plus, since people under 21 can't legally buy alcohol, underage drinkers may feel they have no option but to steal it.
Anyone facing theft charges, for these commonly stolen items or anything else, deserves a fair trial. If this is your first time in court, it's especially important to know what rights you have and how the legal process plays out.